Tuesday, May 17, 2022

W6/ND-323 Lovejoy Buttes

 Immediately after activating Black Butte, I drove over to the base of Lovejoy Buttes. This peak towers over the Lake Los Angeles community, and is a pleasant hike. I parked near the height of land on 145 St East. There seemed to be some OHV trails going into the desert here and it wasn't signed. I started hiking east towards the butte.

Joshua Trees on the way.

The desert is sandy on the flat part, and made walking a bit more difficult. There are myriad OHV trails, and I followed one to the base of the hill, then up to the crest. Once on the crest, follow one of the trails along to the high point.
Sandy climb up to the ridge.

Thankfully the ridge is hard rock and sand, and footing is good. Near where I came onto the ridge there is an abandoned boat. Start of the Lake Los Angeles Yacht Club?

Setup on the summit.

It was still breezy, but had warmed up some since Black Butte. I put up the antenna, and was quickly on the air. There was good cell service on top. Once I was done, I took the same route back to the car, where I headed over to Alpine Butte for one last activation.

Trailhead: Height of land, 145 St East
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Follow one of the use trails to the ridge, then around to the summit.
Red Tape: None.
Video: ham_bitious Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment