Monday, May 23, 2022

W6/ND-341 Castle Butte

 This easy peak is a bit east of California City in the middle of the Mojave Desert. There are a number of dirt roads of varying quality in the desert, and with enough clearance you can drive very close to the summit. I drove in via Tamarack Street, a dirt road. The first part of this road was good, passable by a sedan, but it got rougher as I got closer to the butte. This rougher part is labeled as 140th Street on maps.

Summit from the parking spot.

Since I had a jeep with some clearance, I was able to drive all the way to the col between Castle Butte and a lower peak. From here is was less than half a mile up to the top. The first part is steep sand, then it gets rocky. It was very windy, and a few times I had to put a hand down to keep my balance during a gust. 
Views of the high desert.

Since it was so windy, after I tagged the summit I found a spot on the lee side of the hill to set up. I managed to get my antenna up in a bush, and started on 17m. The highlight was working Slovenia, with good signals both ways. There was great cell service on top, so spotting was not an issue. 
California City was just around the rocks.

I didn't spend too long on top, since there were three more summits I wanted to get, starting with the Rosamond Hills. I took the same route back to the pavement, since I knew it was passible. There is one house along the road, and as I drove by a dog started running after the car. I wonder if it was curious or angry.

Trailhead: Col, just northwest of the peak.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Scramble up to the summit.
Red Tape: None.
Video: ham_bitious YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment