Tuesday, May 17, 2022

W6/ND-334 Alpine Butte

 A short distance from Lovejoy Buttes is Alpine Butte. This is an easy peak. From Avenue O, drive north on 136 St East as far as your vehicle will let you. When you can drive no farther, get out and walk up to the summit. 

End of the road.

It is a bit steep, and there is no trail, but there are enough rocks and stuff that getting to the top was not hard. The wind was really blowing, so I had to find somewhere to setup out of the way so I wouldn't get blown away. 
Antenna on the summit.

There also seemed to be less brush, which made getting the pole up a bit harder. As expected, there was great cell service. By the time I was done operating, it was after lunchtime and I was getting hungry. I picked my way down the hill to the road and back to the car, where I returned to the hotel.
Gotta love those joshua trees.

Trailhead: End of 136 St East, south of the butte.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Head up to the end of the road, then straight up to the summit.
Red Tape: None.
Video: ham_bitious YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment