Sunday, July 21, 2013

Day 20, 7-8

--> Campsite near Bemis Stream,  15.9 miles

It was raining when I woke up. Naturally I was the first one awake, and the first to pack up and go. The hitch into Rangeley was super easy. The first car that came after I stuck out my thumb picked me up and brought me to the grocery store. I got enough food to get me to Gorham. I then walked into town to try and use the library computer, but of course the library is closed on Mondays. I then went to the diner for a second breakfast. It was pretty good.

A couple from New Hampshire offered me a ride back to the trail, which I accepted. They said they had thru hiked a few years back, and were hiking the VT-NH-ME section until bad blisters forced them off the trail. Now they're just doing shorter hikes and picking up their mail drops. The trail to Sabbath Day Pond Lean-to wasn't bad. There were a bunch of teenage French-Canadian girls there so I decided to push on. The other SOBO guys will probably be there tonight as well. I think I hate people while out here on the trail. The NOBOs last night were amusing, but there went to bed later than I would have liked. The shelters are convenient, but you have to deal with people while at them.

The campsite I'm at now is nice. It's near  a road, but only  a couple of cars have gone by. It is also sunny now, so maybe everything will dry out some. I hope it doesn't rain tonight, packing up wet stuff is no fun. The weather on the TV in Rangeley said it should be nice the next few days. It also said there was a tropical storm going to hit Florida on Friday, so next weekend might be rainy. Hopefully I'll be able to take a zero in Gorham then.

No comments:

Post a Comment