Sunday, July 21, 2013

Day 21, 7-9

--> Hall Mountain Lean-to,  16.4 miles

What a tough day. I woke up early and climbed up to the Bemis Mountain Shelter. I got there at 8. Mapless, Woody, and Chefbeard were still there taking a lazy morning. The climb up Bemis Mountain wasn't bad, but it was very fogy with no views. On m way up Old Blue Mountain I met Chef and at the top Windsock. Windsock is a teacher and is just section hiking to Gorham. The descent down Old Blue was steep. I thought I was near the road when it flattened out a bit, but it got even steeper after that part. At the read someone had left cans of Coke. It was the best room-temperature Coke I've ever had.

The climb up Moody Mountain was fairly quick. Then came Sawyer Notch. It was very steep. There was a lot of mud and rebar on the way down. Knee-shattering to put it mildly. I stopped at the bottom to refill my water and have a stack before going up the other side of the V. It was a long climb, but less steep than the way down. I don't think I've ever been so happy to see a leanto. Bothe my knees are pretty sore, so I plan to take an easy day tomorrow to let them rest.

It looks like in three days I'll go through Mahoosuc Notch. This is the hardest (or most fun) mile on the AT. I hear the descend down the arm is rough, but I don't think it could be worse than what I did today. I'm only 30 miles from the NH border, and will probably cross the day after the notch. That will be exciting to get to my second state and to go through the Whites.

I like the 2 NOBOs that are here this evening. They aren't talking loudly and constantly. I'll probably be able to go to sleep early  without listening to people talking all night. If only all NOBOs were like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment