Monday, July 8, 2013

Day 4, 6-22

Rainbow Stream Lean-to --> Dirt Road at S. end of Nahmakanta Lake, 11 miles

Woke up, packed up and left. The first part of the trail was along a gorge. I thought of Becky in Ithaca. There was a short but steep climb up Nesuntabunt Mountain. At the first ledge I ran into Walt (Chief). We took each other's photos and talked for a while. Shortly before we left it started to rain. This weather continued for a while, but it was never enough to put on rain gear. It has since stopped and it is sunny now. Walt caught up to me at Wadleigh Stream Lean-to and we ate lunch there. While resting we met the first NOBO- Prospector. Just before I left two more showed up. I was planning to stealth camp at Prentiss Brook, but there were no good sites. We are now at some sort of campground, set up by the lake. (Nahmakanta Lake) The guide book describes this point as "Gravel Road near South End of Nahmakanta Lake". I took the oppertunity to rinse all of my clothes, and they're hanging to dry now.

I've noticed I've gotten hungrier. I think hiker hunger is setting in. With luck it won't really get going until I'm out of the 100-mile wilderness. My legs, for the most part, are not sore anymore. Hopfully this lasts a long time.

Well, I thought it would be a quiet night, but Richard, then Cheech and Chong, and then a girl and her dad showed up. Luckily there wasn't a lot of crazyness. Also, the breeze that made this such a good campsite has died away, and the bugs have come back in full force. It's also really warm and I hope it cools off some and the bugs go away. It's too hot for long sleeves. I'm going to bed, the mosquitoes are attacking my exposed hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment