Monday, December 24, 2018

W1/HA-109 Bald Mountain

After activating Skatutakee Mountain I came over to get this Bald Mountain. This peak is on Audubon Socienty land, and open to the public during daylight. The parking lot on Willard Pond Road was partially plowed, but there was enough space for half a dozen cars.
Parking lot. Trail leaves behind the car. 
I took the Tamposi Trail to the summit. It was hard to follow in places, the tread was not well defined. There were enough blazes that I didn't get lost, though. Partway up the trail squeezed through a small space between two rocks. About halfway up is a trail junction. It was obvious there was a junction, but the signs were missing.
Hope you're skinny enough to fit through!
I continued up the Potosi Trail, which was much easier to follow above the junction. It started snowing harder, but the trail didn't get too slippery, at least until it covered the icy rocks. I slipped on one, and had to be more careful after that. Luckily I was near the summit.
Bald Mountain summit.
There were a lot of trees on top, and no view. It is the hairiest Bald Mountain I've ever been on. I set up in a clearing at the top. There was good service on top. I did 40 and 20 again, making contacts on each. I had sweat a bit going up, so I got cold after about 30 minutes.
Near the summit.
There was no reason to stay on top, so I went back down. I passed a woman heading up, and when I got back to the trailhead there were a bunch of cars. Not sure where they were in the woods.

Trailhead: Potosi Trailhead, Willard Pond Road, Antrim
Website: SOTA Site.
Route: I took the Potosi Trail. 
Red Tape: Trails open sunrise to sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment