Monday, December 3, 2018

W4C/EP-004 Flat Shoal Mountain

After hiking down from Moores Knob I drove around to an undeveloped part of Hanging Rock SP to activate this peak. I parked in a pullout at the sharp bend on Young Road, under the power lines. There was a use trail that went under the lines. I followed it a short distance, but it quickly became obvious that it wouldn't take me up to the peak.
Under the power lines.
After crossing the deep gully I turned and headed straight up the hill. The forest was open, and it was easy going. The hill gets a bit steeper near the top, but nothing too crazy. Once I made it to the top of the ridge I simply followed it to the summit.
Walking along the ridge.
This area burned a few years ago, and there were lots of blackened logs. Any brushy areas on the ridge were easy to go around. Near the top were some neat rock formations. The ridge at the summit is fairly narrow, so I probably got a lot of help with propagation from there.
Cliff near the summit.
I had cell service on this peak. On 20m I was called by EA2LU, but I don't think he could hear me very well. As I was finishing up, it started to rain, so I quickly packed up and headed back down.
Standing on the summit, looking back the way I came up.
It was a light rain, and the hike back to the car was pleasant. I'm surprised this summit is activated more often. It is an easy hike, and you don't have to worry about crowds. I had the entire mountain to myself.

Trailhead: Bend in Young Road under the power lines.
Website: SOTA SiteState Park site
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Hike up to the ridge, then follow it to the summit.
Red Tape: None.
Almost back to the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment