Monday, December 31, 2018

W1/MV-003 North Uncanoonuc

My parents wanted to come out an a hike, and my Mom said she hadn't been to this peak or Joe English Hill, so we decided to head out. I chose the White Dot Trail, because it seemed like it would be the easiest. There is a small pullout on Mountain Road with enough space for 3 cars. We got the last spot, then crossed the road and headed up.
Start of the trail.
True to the name, it is blazed with white dots. Many are old can ends painted white and nailed to trees. This trail is the most direct way up to the summit. We made good time, taking about 30 minutes to get to the top. There wasn't much ice on the way up, which was nice.
Open forest most of the way up.
The top is fairly open, with some ledges to the east. There were great views of the other Uncanoonuc, and we could see downtown Manchester. I setup at the top of the ledge so I wouldn't block the view and got on the air. It was nice and warm, the warmest summit I've been on this week.
South Uncanoonuc. Manchester is to the left.
Twenty meters was open to Europe, and I got Czech and Irish stations. I filled the rest of the log with the usual chasers. After working everyone on 40, my Mom said she was starting to get cold, so I packed up and we headed down. Back at the car we drove over to the base of Joe English Hill.
Summit sign.
Trailhead: White Dot Trail, on Mountain Road.
Website: SOTA SiteTrail map, downloadable pdf too.
Route: White Dot Trail, or one of the other ones.
Red Tape: None. 

No comments:

Post a Comment