Friday, December 28, 2018

W1/HA-219 Clark Summit

This was the third summit of the day, after Rose Mountain and Crotched Mountain. The trailhead for this peak is at the His Mansion Ministries, which is some sort of treatment or rehab center. I parked in the small lot across from the office and set off down the road. I wasn't paying attention, and went down the wrong one, but it was easy to cut through the woods to the power lines and back to the one I wanted.
Clear cut under the power lines.
I went around the gate and up towards Wolf Summit. The road makes a turn to the right, and there is a faint trail that leaves to the left. I followed the trail as best I could. I found blazes, but only on my way down.
Clark Summit through the woods.
At this time of year it was easy to see the peak through the forest. I followed what seemed to be an old jeep trail down to the col, crossed the small stream, then followed it a little ways up the other side. It didn't seem to be going in the right direction, so I left it and headed straight up the hill.
View from the summit.
Near the top I came across what appeared to be a summit trail, so I followed it. This took me right to the summit. The top is fairly open with ledges, and has a large plaque set in the rock. I set up and decided to try 20 first, in case it was still open to Europe. It wasn't, but I got most of the American chasers I usually get.
Antenna at the summit.
On the way down I followed the white dot blazes. However, at the col I lost them and just went straight up to the jeep trail, then back to the service road. Back at the car I decided there was still enough time to get one more summit, so I headed over to the Dumbarton High Point.

Trailhead: End of Wolf Hill Road, at the gate. 
Website: SOTA Site. Deering Town Hiking Map showing trail to summit. 
Route: Follow the white dot trail as best you can.
Red Tape: None. I did feel weird parking by the office, but I didn't see any signs forbidding it, and no one said anything.
A quick selfie before heading down.

No comments:

Post a Comment