Wednesday, December 26, 2018

W1/HA-165 Skatutakee Mountain

My family would come here every summer when I was growing up to pick the wild blueberries growing on top. I always knew this peak as Blueberry Mountain. It was fun coming again as an adult to do a SOTA activation.
Trailhead next to the kiosk.
The trailhead is at the Harris Center. This is down a dirt road, but no problems in the sedan I had. There is a small lot, with room for a dozen or so cars. From the parking lot take the Harriskat Trail. This goes right to the summit. There is a junction before the climb starts where you can make a loop and go over Thumb Mountain as well, but it isn't a SOTA peak.
The only junction on the trail.
Unlike North Pack Monadnock, there was more snow and ice at the bottom of the mountain. I took off the micro spikes as I climbed higher. At the top there is a small clearing and cairn. There were some views to the south, but it was cloudy and started snowing as I arrived on the top. I set up on the edge of the clearing, in case anyone else came up.
View.
There was cell service all the way from the parking lot to the summit, so no problems spotting. I started on 40 and went to 20 like previous summits, and got plenty of contacts on each. Its interesting being on the other side of the country. Some people come in very strong who I'm used to hearing weakly.
Summit snowfall.
The sun went behind the clouds and I started getting cold, so I packed up. It was a quick trip back to the car, only 45 minutes. There was still plenty of daylight left, so I headed a few minutes down the road to get nearby Bald Mountain.

Trailhead: Harris Center, Kings Highway, Hancock.
Website: SOTA Site.
Route: Take the Harriskat Trail. 
Red Tape: None.
Skatutakee Mountain summit.

No comments:

Post a Comment