Monday, December 17, 2018

W6/SC-185

This peak had been on my radar for a long time, and I was excited to get a chance to go activate it. The peak is the high point of the Hollister Hills State Vehicle Recreation Area. I had come down a few months ago to try, but the Upper Ranch section of the park was closed for a private event. This time, after checking the park website to make sure it would be open, I drove down to the Vineyard School entrance.
The school as it was in the afternoon when I got back.
The gate was propped open, so I went in and parked. I didn't see any signs requiring payment or limiting pedestrians, so I set off up the road. It was quiet, and it wasn't until I was high up on the mountain that I first heard other humans. This area is popular with the OHV folks, and the trails are all roads.
The summit is behind the knob.
It was pretty chilly in the shady canyon, but I warmed up once I started climbing and got into the sun. There are lots of trails, so a good map is a necessity. I took a more direct route up, using the Hill Climb Return and Fremonita roads. Some of the roads were very steep and eroded, and would be a challenge to drive. On foot they were easy.
On the way up.
 Near the top there is an unsigned junction. Make a u-turn here and cross the gate. There is some sort of monitoring station here. The road ends at the station, but it is open land up to the summit and easy walking. The high point is in the middle of some bushes, so after tagging it I went back down a little ways to a spot with a view.
Looking across the valley. Hollister out of frame to the left. Swanson Bluff is the cliffs in the mid ground.
I put up my antenna, got everything connected, then hit the tune button. Nothing happened. I tried the other bands on the MTR, but still nothing. Something was wrong with the setup, and my signal wasn't getting out. I double checked everything, but couldn't find anything wrong. I resigned myself to a VHF only activation, and started calling CQ.
Looking south down the Gabilan Range.
Someone in Hollister came back quickly, but after that it seemed that 2m was dead. After 90 minutes calling CQ, I gave up with only 3 contacts in the log. It was the first time I had failed to get the 4 contacts needed. I packed up and headed back down. I decided to take McCray Road down because it looked less steep than the way I had come up. It was, and it was an enjoyable walk.
Pacheco Peak framed by the brush.
I walked through the Sycamore Campground, where there were some people setting up for the weekend. Back at the main road I had a bit of a scare when I saw the gate was closed. Thankfully it was unlocked, and I was able to get out. The rangers had also come by and taped a note to my car that I needed to pay an entry fee. I stopped by the main entrance on my way out to pay and complain that it wasn't marked as a fee area.
One of the off-road play areas near the main road.
The ranger also said that the gate was usually locked. If that is truly the case, I don't know how normal people get access to the Upper Ranch section.
When I got home I set up the antenna in the backyard, and couldn't find anything wrong with it. I still don't know why it didn't work on the peak.

Trailhead: Vineyard Schoolhouse, Upper Ranch, Hollister Hills SVRA
Website: SOTA SiteOfficial Site
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Lots of routes to choose from. Easiest is probably McCray Road.
Red Tape: Key needed to get in, I think. Area can be reserved for private events.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Just read this as I was checking for peaks near Hollister Hills. Just FYI (and for any future activators), the summit is actually outside the SVRA. Right after that point where the road ended at the monitoring station, you left the state park land. The peak is on Gabilan Ranch, private cattle land with a Nature Conservancy easement: https://gilroydispatch.com/gabilan-ranch-preserved/ - no idea if they mind hikers, but if you didn't see any no trespassing signs, they're probably cool with it as long as you don't disturb any cows.

    Also regarding how you access the area when the gate is closed: when you pay the fee at the park entrance, they give you the 4-digit combination for the lock, which changes periodically. People are supposed to lock the gate behind them after they go in, but many don't bother.

    Glad you enjoyed the scenery even though you didn't get many QSOs. I had great luck doing "Jeep POTA" at the Hector Heights overlook at the end of McCray Road, but unfortunately it's not enough of a prominence to be a SOTA peak. Maybe next time I'm up there, I'll park at the overlook and hike from there to the peak.

    73,
    N6JSO

    ReplyDelete