Friday, September 21, 2018

W6/CV-017

After coming down from Mt Vaca I drove over to Pena Adobe Regional Park to get this summit. There seemed to be some sort of event going on, so I parked in the dirt lot near the bike trail. I didn't see any signs or places to pay, so I didn't.
Parking area from the trail.

I set off down the trail, which follows the road over to Lagoon Valley Park. I wasn't watching the map closely, so I missed a turn off. When I noticed, I decided to just take the scenic, roundabout route to the top.

Typical view in the park.

I climbed up a steep hill, then took the trail that followed the park boundary. Eventually it met up with the wide gravel road that runs to the summit. This road had many more people on it.

A recently burned area outside the park. Mt Diablo in the background.

There is a large tower and fence at the summit. I walked around to the shady side of the tower to set up. I had my amplifier for 2 meters, so I started there. I made some contacts, but not as many as on Mt Vaca, probably because of the lower elevation.

A benchmark from the Highway Department. I'd never seen one before.

After doing 2 meters I got on HF and made the rest of my contacts. I took a more direct route down, keeping a closer eye on my map.

Trailhead: Pena Adobe or Lagoon Park.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: The most direct is the tower access road from Lagoon Park. Lots of other trails too.
Red Tape: None.
Video: ham_bitious YouTube

Looking back at the lagoon and Mt Vaca.

No comments:

Post a Comment