Friday, September 7, 2018

W6/NE-046 Payne Peak

Day three of my trip to the Warner Mountains. After climbing Warren Peak and Squaw Peak the previous day, I had three summits planned for today, Payne, 6620, and Buck. First up was Payne Peak, an easy hike. I drove up the nice gravel road to where it makes a sharp turn and Forest Road 42N43 turns off to the left.
I parked on the main road.
This road climbs gently up to the summit. There are a few roads that leave on the left, so stay on the main road. The road passes through some meadows, and just below the summit starts a switchback to the top.
Summit in the early morning sun.
This peak must not get many visitors, since there is no fence surrounding the tower and building on top. There is also a large solar array. Following N6JFD's advice, I walked out to the cross to the north to set up. I strapped my pole to the cross, and strung out my antenna, and was on the air.
At the cross, looking back at the high point.
Like the other peaks in the region, I had great cell service on top. I put out a spot and got the usual pileup of chasers. After working all three bands I had, I packed up. I had more peaks to visit, and didn't want to run out of time or daylight.
Looking north to Cedar Peak, a destination for the next day.
It took me about 30 minutes to get up, and a bit less to get back to the car.

Trailhead: Intersection of Forest Roads 42N31 and 42N43. High clearance cars could drive to the summit.
Website: SOTA Site.
Route: Walk up 42N43 to the summit.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment