Friday, September 7, 2018

W6/NE-017 Bald Mountain

Bald and Cedar Mountains are in the middle of the Warner Range, just north of CA 299. I spent the night camping at the trailhead, and got an early start.
Waiting for dinner time.
The campsite is a few yards downhill from the road. In the morning I packed up and headed up the hill. The road doesn't see much traffic, but it was easy to follow up to the ridge. This climb is through the forest. On the ridge I turned left to continue up to the summit.
Bald on the left, Cedar right.
The forest soon ends and the hike up is through the open ridge. The road continues up before ending a few hundred feet below the summit. I made the mistake of following a herd path along the side, a bit below the top of the ridge. This ended in some thigh-high brush which was unpleasant to walk through. Stay near the top of the ridge for easier going.
Getting closer to the summit.
I got out of the brush, and made my way to the summit. There is a small stone windbreak, and a USGS marker. It was a fairly easy hike up, with great views along the way. I used the windbreak to hold up my pole, and got setup. K6ARK was on a peak, and we tried to get a summit-to-summit, but I couldn't hear him. I then put out a spot and quickly filled the log.
Benchmark at the summit.
 After finishing up, I packed up to continue along the ridge over to Cedar Mountain, the next summit of the day.

Trailhead: Intersection of 46N30 and 44N67.
Website: SOTA Site.
Route: Take the road up to the ridge. Where the road ends, stay high on the ridge and continue up to the top.
Red Tape: None.
Heading over to Cedar, in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment