Monday, September 10, 2018

W6/NS-296 Clyde Mountain

Clyde Mountain is a relatively easy peak near Lake Spaulding. WB0USI posted some directions to get to the top, but I found them hard to follow. I took his suggestions of parking in a small pullout past the dam of Fuller Lake and then went my own way.
Car parked in a small pullout.
After parking I just went straight up the mountain. The bottom is fairly open forest, and I had no trouble going up. I crossed an abandoned road a few times, probably the one Rick mentions.
Under the power lines.
About 120' below the summit I encountered some dense, waist-high brush. This slowed me down some, but I was able to just power through it. I got a few cuts on my legs, despite wearing pants, but they were inevitable when I started bushwhacking. I got to the summit ridge just north of the summit, and pushed through the manzanita the last few vertical feet to the high point.
The top of this rock appeared to be the highest point.
On top I set up my antenna and was on the air. I had good cell service. As I operated I watched the North Fire burn, a few miles away on the other side of I-80. I didn't linger, since I wanted to get up to Grouse Ridge for the VHF contest later. After finishing radio stuff, I went straight back down the mountain.
Lowell Hill Ridge is very close, but on the other side of a canyon.
I managed to pop out of the woods right at my car, which was a welcome sight. I then continued up to the next summit.

Trailhead: Bowman Road, past the Fuller Lake Dam.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Go straight up. Its not too steep.
Red Tape: None.
No dense brush ever stopped me (except on Pk 4850)

No comments:

Post a Comment