Friday, September 7, 2018

W6/NE-059 Sugar Hill

Sugar Hill was the easiest mountain I did during my Warner trip. It is a drive up peak, with an old lookout tower and pit toilet on the summit. I drove over after hiking Bald and Cedar Mountains. The roads were in good shape, except for one rough one that I took.
A sad looking tower. Lots of glass on the ground from the broken windows.
The tower is closed and fenced off. It appears it is used to hold up antennas now. I setup in the shade it provided, since it had turned into a hot day. I had my KX3 and microphone, since it was a drive up. I made contacts on the usual bands, but added in some sideband to change things up a bit. It was much harder to make SSB contacts than CW.
Antenna on a hazy summit.
It had also gotten very hazy, and I could barely see Goose Lake below me. This summit probably has great views on a clear day. Just before I left, a guy rode up on a dirt bike, then lamented that he wouldn't be able to take good pictures since it was so hazy. I commiserated with him for a few minutes, then left to head up to Cave Lake Campsite, my destination for the night.
Nothing makes a summit scenic like a chain link fence and toilet.
Trailhead: I parked near the toilet.
Website: SOTA Site.
Route: Drive up to the summit. Set up somewhere.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment