Thursday, September 6, 2018

W6/NE-290 Squaw Peak

After rejoining the trail after climbing Warren Peak, I continued along the Summit Trail until I reached the base of the ridge running up to the summit. I didn't see any use trails, so I just went up. The ground was very soft in places, but there were enough shrubs that slipping wasn't an issue.
The summit from the base of the ridge.
It was a hot climb, but fairly short. The very top of the peak is a class 2 climb up some talus. On top I signed the register and had a snack, then got setup. Again, I had good service from the summit. After spotting I quickly got a bunch of contacts.
All my stuff.
I followed the other ridge back to the trail. Neither one seemed easier or harder than the other. Back on the trail it was an easy hike back to the campground, where I was able to kick back and relax. In the evening some deer wandered in, and I watched them for a while.
Pepperdine Campground.
 The next day I had some more summits planned, starting with Payne Peak.
One of the deer.
Trailhead: Patterson Campground. Day use lot just before the CG, after the equestrian CG. 
Website: SOTA Site.
Route: Take the Summit Trail to the ridge. Follow the ridge up to the summit.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment