Monday, September 17, 2018

W6/NC-101 Mt Sizer

Mt Sizer was one of two peaks in Henry Coe State Park that I still had to activate. The forecast was for cooler than average weather, especially on Saturday, so I jumped at the chance to head back to this beautiful park.
Some of the buildings at Coe Ranch. The trail leaves to the left just before the fence.

I started down the Corral Trail shortly after 8. At the junction I crossed the road to the Forest Trail which I took around to Poverty Flat Road. I took the road down to Poverty Flat. It is unrelentingly downhill, with some steep sections. I passed a group of people coming up. They didn't look like avid hikers, so they must have gotten a very early start.

Middle Ridge, on my way down.

My legs got a short break on the flat section at the bottom (the aptly named Poverty Flat) before the climb up Blue Ridge started. I stayed on Poverty Flat Road, then made a left onto the Jackass Trail.

Poverty Flat.

The beginning of this trail was overgrown with grass, but I soon climbed into the brush and the trail opened up some. I also started getting some good views. The trail goes through a section that burned, but it must have been quite a few years ago.

Some dead trees in the old burn area.

At the top of the Jackass Trail is Blue Ridge Road. There is another steep section on the road, then it mellows out for the rest of the climb. There are quite a few trees on the ridge, so only intermittent views. Near the summit I passed two guys coming down. The summit is just off the ridge road, on another road to the right. After just under three hours of hiking, I made it to the top.

Looking north to Mt Hamilton and Isabel.

If you continue on the road over and past the summit, the trees stop and there are great views. This is where I stopped and set up. I had decent cell coverage on the summit, and was able to spot myself. (2022 update: Verizon service was very spotty. I'd get a spot out, then lose service, then sometimes it would come back after a while. Rely on it at your own risk!) I worked the usual bands. I had a large pileup on 30, and got four summit-to-summits there. After, I did VHF and worked stations in Fresno on both 2 and 440!

Mt Stakes dominated the view to the east.

As I was packing up a group of girls arrived, but left before I was done packing. I passed them on the way down. I retraced my steps back to Poverty Flat, but decided to take the Cougar Trail up to Manzanita Point, then the Springs Trail back to Coe Ranch. The climb out of Poverty Flat was rough, but it wasn't any worse than I had feared it might be.

That might be Wasno Ridge, I didn't stop long enough to figure out all the peaks.

Once I was back on Pine Ridge, the cool breeze picked up again and I cooled off. Back at the car I headed down the windy road back to Morgan Hill.

Trailhead: Coe Ranch. This is the park HQ.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Corral Trail, Forest Trail, Poverty Flat Road, Jackass Trail, Blue Ridge Road. Going via Hobbs Road might be shorter, but there are some extremely steep sections on that road that I really dislike.
Red Tape: None.

Red Hill and Basalt Hill were visible. Burra Burra Peak too, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment