Friday, September 7, 2018

W6/NE-026 Buck Mountain

Buck Mountain was the final peak for the day, day three of my Warner Mountain trip. After stopping in Alturas to refuel and get some snacks, I drove up the nice gravel road towards the peak. The road got a bit rougher closer to the peak, but it was still in good shape.
Small pond (marsh?) by the road.
The FS map shows a small marsh next to the main road. Just north of this is an abandoned road, which it turns out runs right to the summit. The road is easy to follow. It had a few steep sections, but was generally well graded.
Getting close to the summit.
There is a long flat section just below the summit. The summit is unremarkable. I sat under a tree and ran my antenna out away from me. Surprisingly the cell service was intermittent on top. I was able to get out some text spots, and got the usual chasers.
On my way back to the car.
Back at the car I drove back down the road to the trailhead for my next hike, up to Bald and Cedar Mounains.

Trailhead: Unmarked road by marsh, along 46N30.
Website: SOTA Site.
Route: Take the abandoned road up to the summit.
Red Tape: None.
View from my campsite that evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment